Members, we still need your help! Write more letters opposing sales tax on massage therapy!
HB7410 was introduced today, which is a second version of the proposed budget, and it still includes massage therapy on the list of new taxable services. This bill has a Public Hearing on Wednesday, April 10.
PLEASE HELP US FIGHT THIS!!!!!!
We need your voice, the voices of your clients, fellow health-care professionals (Chiropractors, Naturopaths, Acupuncturists, PT/OTs, etc etc etc …. Anyone who might be part of your referral network or send clients your way!).
WHAT TO DO?
Submit written testimony to: FINtestimony@cga.ct.gov by 8 AM on Wednesday, 4-10–19. All LMTs please use this link to a completed document that you only need to add your name at the top and then you name, license number and address to the bottom. Use this for your subject line: HB7410 ‘AN ACT CONCERNING CERTAIN TAX RECOMMENDATIONS OF THE COMMISSION ON FISCAL STABILITY AND ECONOMIC GROWTH AND ESTABLISHING A STEM SCHOLARSHIP PROGRAM’. You must save the document as either a word file or PDF and attach it to the email. It will become part of public record.
Now! All is due by 8 AM on Wednesday, 4-10–19.
WHO SHOULD DO THIS?
Everyone who is an LMT, who receives massage, who benefits from massage, who refers to LMTs!
BUT WHAT DO I SAY?!??!?!?!
- Talk sincerely about “MASSAGE IS HEALTHCARE” and charging sales tax is inappropriate.
- Cite research (https://www.amtamassage.org/
findamassage/health_ conditions.html is a good link for your reference and for citing research).
- Talk about your clients; the blue collars employees, athletes, retirees, white collar employees … and their reasons for seeing you.
- Talk about your education, your clinical approach, your success rates, any specialties or training you have that supports your client wellness.
- Speak in facts and numbers that you can back-up. Think research, think clinically, and think medically. Remember who our audience is and speak their language.
In your letter and in the Subject line, please reference: HB7410 ‘AN ACT CONCERNING CERTAIN TAX RECOMMENDATIONS OF THE COMMISSION ON FISCAL STABILITY AND ECONOMIC GROWTH AND ESTABLISHING A STEM SCHOLARSHIP PROGRAM’.
We really appreciate everyone’s support and willingness to help make our position known. Please write, even if you did last time. Get your clients to write as well. We need to FLOOD our legislature with our position!
Also, if you would like to publicly testify on Wednesday, please let Nikki know at: firstname.lastname@example.org with your name, email and phone number.
Finally, Legislative Awareness Day is fast approaching and this one is BIG! PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE consider donating even a few hours of your time to help us educate the staff and legislators about our profession and our stance around sales tax!